Monday, November 22, 2010

Crockpot Pork or Turkey with Apple Gravy

This is some easy, yummy stuff. Perfect for a Sunday after Church. I found the original recipe in Better Homes and Gardens, I think?! Since then, as always, I've tweaked it to my liking.
I need to practice my food photos!

1 3 lb Turkey Breast (I like to use the Foster Farms already seasoned and netted, ready to go turkey breast, but any will do)
OR
1 3 lb Pork Roast or Tenderloin
3 Medium Apples (I use Fuji or anything with a good firmness, again your preference) peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 Packet of Instant Turkey or Chicken Gravy
1 Cup Water
2 Tbs Flour
1/4 Cup Water


Combine the water and gravy packet in crockpot and mix. Add the  sliced apples and place the turkey breast or pork tenderloin or pork pot roast on top. Cook on HIGH 5-6 hours, or LOW 7-8 hours.

Remove the meat and set aside. Pour gravy juices and apples into a pan. Puree apples into the gravy with a wand blender or put in a Cuisinart or a Blender and blend until smooth. If removed to blend, return gravy to pan.

Combine the flour and water and mix until smooth. Slowly add flour mixture to gravy while stirring over a medium heat until gravy achieves desired thickness. If it isn't thick enough repeat the flour and water procedure and proceed! :)
Place meat on serving plate and pour some gravy over the top. Slice meat, serve and enjoy!

**If you use a pork roast, tenderloin or turkey breast without seasonings, rub 1/2 tsp salt and pepper and 1 tsp sage onto the top of the meat, fat/skin side up.

Serving Suggestions:
We like to have mashed potatoes with this (of course!) or Lemony Baked Potato Slices (recipe to come soon!). It is also really good with the traditional Thanksgiving sides like Cranberry Sauce and Stuffing and (my favorite thing with mashed potatoes and gravy), Peas!
Last Night's Dinner Plate!

Side Note:
My mom taught me that when you add flour and water instead of Cornstarch and water (something that will also thicken the gravy-a lot quicker, in my opinion) to thicken, you will achieve a nicer gravy that will not become gelatinous (not so lovely) when refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment