Thursday, December 9, 2010

Chicken Pastina Soup

This is hands down every one of my kids' favorite soup (and we grown-up kids love it too)! I grew up eating a version of this whenever I was sick and so the tradition continues...

Picture is worse than ever since I had to use phone because the camera was dead!
1 Medium yellow onion chopped fine
2 Stalks celery chopped
2 Carrots chopped
1 Carrot grated/shredded
1-2 Chicken breast(s)
2-3 Cups Pastina (round bebe like pasta)
4 Quarts chicken broth (I use bullion paste and water to make mine)
Salt/Pepper to taste

Put 1 Tbls olive oil in large pot. Add chicken breast and cook until chicken is almost done (in a pinch I've been known to throw frozen breast in the pan and it works just fine). Add onion and celery and saute until translucent. Add chopped carrots (we have a lot of carrots in the soup because I LOVE carrots-don't use as many if you're not such a fan) and saute for about 3-4 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer for about 20 minutes. Add Pastina (or another small pasta noodle) and shredded carrots and cook over medium heat for about 12-15 minutes or until the pasta is tender. The Pastina soaks up A LOT of liquid and a little goes a long way (again, my kids love the pasta part so I add a bit more than I normally would), especially if you cook slowly and all the starches are released. I usually add a couple cups of broth at the end to increase the amount of liquid. Serve with warm bread OR yummy ham and cheese melts! Enjoy!

Notes:
When we were first married I would heat the leftover soup and add dumplings to the top. Delish! (This was when I had a lot more broth and not as much Pastina, oh well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment